Friday, March 28, 2008

Julia's Grace

As some of you may know, I may have mentioned it once or twice- ha ha, I belong to Toddlers Board. It started out as a great place to get tips on how to get Madeline to nap, or ideas for dinners, or to ask if we should rent this movie or that movie. Very quickly it turned into something more than that. It is a diverse group of women from all over the country- some outspoken, some conservative, but many of us have become very close. We share in each others joys and heartaches, laugh at stories about toddlers( and now a lot of infants again) and talk about mundane stuff ( and some stuff that I'm just not willing to put on my blog- its not dirty, just gross). Some of these women I have 'known' since planning my wedding back in 2003/4. Greg will make fun of me for checking ' my board' so often, but I really look at it like I'm talking to friends. That I have never met in real life. I know it sounds funny, but its the truth.

I don't want to betray confidences, but our topics have ranged from sos and so's mothers' cancer to work vents to politics to religion to movies to books to just about anything. But obviously our main connecting thread is our children. And thats why this week has been a tough one, to say the least. One of our members gave birth at less than 24 weeks gestation to a beautiful little girl, Julia Grace. If you'd like to read her story, click on this link http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/viewMyStory.do?method=executeInit
( I'm sorry I can't make it fancy. Stupid Vista)
Everyday , we'd hear about what fighter Julia was, defying odds, gaining weight like a champ, and there was even talk about her coming home. Heartbreakingly, unexpectedly and just not fairedly, Julia lost her battle this week, 1 week after her original due date. It came as such a complete shock. I have been at a loss for comforting words for her family, her mother whose strength seems super human. I feel like the only thing I could do is give a big hug or a shoulder to cry on, but she is halfway across the country. And it just wouldn't feel like enough.
This is where my girls stepped in though. Within 24 hours, there a March of Dimes Team created for Julia- Julia's grace, t -shirts being made and money being pledged. Even some of the young children offered their easter egg money . The goal is $5000, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we surpassed it. Unfortunately I will not be able to do the walk that is near me, but I will pledge money. ( If you are interested in finding out more about Julia's Grace March of Dimes walk, click here. Again, nothing fancy, just click)
http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?SeId=516603&si=

This beautiful, strong girl will not be forgotten. She was only here for a short time, but she touched so many lives. A cliche has never been more true.

1 comment:

Christina DeGaetano said...

Jessica, I am doing a walk for Autism Awareness in RI on April 27th, but if I had known about this little angel, I would have signed up to do the Walk for Babies at Roger Williams Park (where the Zoo is located). It's the March of Dimes walk. I have done it before and it means a lot to me as I have friends that have had premature babies and one recently who had one of her preemie twins die. My heart goes out to you and your friend and Julia Grace. My friends little girl was Caroline Grace. I hope they both are looking down at us and are at peace! Thanks for sharing the story!