Friday, March 28, 2008

My Big Girl


Yesterday, I took Madeline to the bookstore for storytime. As expected, she did not sit still for the story-choosing instead to play with the train table and stuffed animals. She did walk right in front of the story teller to make the ladybug stuffed animal clap his hands-er... wings?- and say " yay!" after they had completed a song. When it was time to go , I was prepared for a Grade A Madeline Tantrum- kicking, screaming, what I call 'Dorf'-ing ( remember those commercials for "Dorf Golfs", with Tim Conway playing a little person byt kneeling on his knees? Sometimes Maddie will go limp and drop to her knees. I call it 'Dorfing'. Its standard fare for a tantrum)... but she was SO GOOD. I asked her to put the stuffed animals away... and she did, without crying, without running back to them, without screaming. She put them back and said " bye bye, An-muls". And that was IT.

Then I took her to Trader Joes. I was going to be in and out because I just needed one thing. I told her if she would hold my hand and stay close, she didn't have to go inthe cart. As we passed a cart, I thought better of it and went to get one." No Mommy, I walk" she told me. Not whining, but matter of fact , like " Don't worry mommy, I'll be good, we don't need a cart" and she was , once again, so GOOD. Held my hand, never wandered off, stayed by my side.


I know it seems like a small thing, but I was so impressed with her yesterday. She's getting so verbal . We're able to carry on conversations- I think that has greatly reduced her frustrations...
Whatever it is, I'm more in love with her than ever.

No comments: