Friday, April 3, 2009

Sleep

Up until Madeline was promoted to Big Girl Bed, the going to bed process was relatively simple. We used to read her a few books in the rocking chair- then place her in the crib , say ' Goodnight sweetie pie" and walk out of the room. We'd hear her playing and talking to herself, but she'd be out in about 5 minutes- tops. Easy-Peasy.

I have to be honest here and tell you that that particular stage- the five minutes till snoozyland- that only lasted for about 8 months. Prior to that there was a very elaborate set up that involved specific songs at designated times, rocking in the chair until she fell asleep, then the transfer to the bed, in which she would usually wake up... and before that we had swaddling and extra pacis strewn about the crib. So it hasn't always been easy. Not sure if I am the one who made it harder- but I have to say, my girl liked structure from Day One, so that is what I gave her. I would have stood on my head for an hour if that made her sleep through the night. Once you have a child and experience sleep deprivation you will do anything you can for uninterupted sleep, probably for the rest of your life.

With the big girl bed came some...ahem... disruptions in our rotutine.

Now we have to:
-read multiple books, which are signifcantly longer than " Goodnight Moon"
- I have to do 'voices' for the books and she knows if I try to skip a page ( this comes into play a lot when I read the Little Mermaid. For this book I am not only expected to read , I am also asked to sing Ursula the Sea witch's signature song " Poor Unfortunate Soul" )

- haggle for the amount of books to be read

- after we are done with books, me or Greg has to lay on the floor next to her bed until she is alseep

-if you try to sneak out before she is alseep, she will cry and tell you to lay down( and you will do it, because you want her to SLEEP!

- she will ask for some water

- she will keep peekign over the bed rail until I tell her I am going to leave unless she goes to sleep

- this goes on a few times until she realizes I am serious( well, as serious as I can be. I mean she's already got me laying on the floor)... and then she is out in less than a minute.

...and Greg is always asking me why I get so upset if she naps during the day- um, because bedtime takes for freaking ever if she does !

No comments: